Saturday, July 22, 2017

July: How can I deepen my understanding of covenants?

All Printouts Found HERE

1. Introduction

  • Making, Breaking, or Keeping Covenants Picture Activity
    • Pass out the pictures representing making, breaking or keeping covenants
    • Have each youth explain which category their picture(s) fall under
2. Learn Together
  • As a class, read the section from True to the Faith titled "Covenants" 
    • I have created a worksheet that has this section and the following questions for the youth to answer.
      • What is a covenant?
      • Why do we make covenants?
      • What blessings do we receive when we keep them?
    • Discuss answers
  • Object Lesson from http://www.ambermaybe.com/2012/06/11/26-weeks-of-fhe-week-9/
    • I didn't worry about the rubber ducky on top. I gathered three white cups and one red one. Then I told them that the red cup had to stay in the middle of the white cups. And the white cups couldn't move.
  • Hand out "The Covenant Path" printout 
    • I found this and I really liked how each of the covenants were laid out as we go through life. I wanted the youth to be able to keep a copy, so I sized it to fix in a standard set of scriptures.
3. Likening the Scriptures & Teaching Others
  • Have the youth pick a covenant to learn about and teach to the class. If you have more than six youth, you could print off multiple copies or have them work in groups. (To be fair, I had my class roll a dice to see who got to pick first.) 
  • For this activity, the youth are asked to read scriptures as well as excerpts from True to the Faith and a few other articles. If you want to save on printing, you could always bring True to the Faith books for the youth to use instead of the print outs from the True to the Faith.
  • Also, if you wanted to save paper, you could always print out the Covenant worksheet from earlier in the lesson and the covenant they are going to learn about and teach double-sided. 
4. Making it Personal
  • Pass out index cards and have the youth answer the following question: "Why is making and keeping covenants important to me?
5. Conclusion
  • Read the quote from Elder Russell M. Nelson on the back of the Covenant Keeper Kit Kat handout from RuthAnne Strong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment