Monday, July 24, 2017

July: How can I prepare to receive temple ordinances?

All Printouts and Videos are HERE

(Things to get in advance: For the Strength of Youth Pamphlets)

1. Introduction:

  • I displayed a picture of the Salt Lake Temple on the table before class.
  • Have the youth take turns reading the introduction in the For Strength of Youth.
    • My church library only had 3 copies, so I had to ask around to get enough for my class. You could always have the youth share pamplets or you could print out the front cover and the intro.
  • Ask the youth, "Why do you think that they chose a temple for the front cover?"
2. Learn Together
  • Watch the "Temples" video
  • Ask the youth what the temple means to them, whether it is doing baptisms for the dead, attending temple open houses, or visiting temple grounds.
  • Temple Statistics
    • When President Monson was called as an Apostle in 1963, there were 12 operating temples in the word. As of today, there are 156 operating temples. When all of the announced temples are dedicated there will be 182 temples. Wow!
    • With the Cedar City and Saratoga Springs temple, there will be 18 temples in Utah alone.
  • List of Temples by Year
    • I found this awesome table of all of the temples sorted by year of dedication. I had to add my own page to update it to current. Make sure to print out part 1 and part 2.
    • How many temples were there when you were born?
    • How many temples were there when Mom and Dad or Grandpa and Grandma were born?
    • Is there anything that sticks out to you? (I thought it was interesting how there were times when there was no temple or how there was a lot dedicated in 2000.)
    • I told a story about my great grandparents who were married in North Carolina in 1934. They drove all the way to Salt Lake to be sealed in 1935. There were only 7 temples in the world.
3. Likening the Scriptures
  • Elder Russell M. Nelson said, "As temples are prepared for the people, the people need to prepare themselves for the temple."
  • Read Psalms 24:3-4
    • What does this teach us about preparing to receive temple ordinances?
  • Write a list on the board of other ways we can prepare to receive temples ordinances.
4. Teach Others
5. Making it Personal
  • Let the youth write down three goals that they can work on to help them prepare for temple ordinances.
6. Conclusion
  • Watch the "Always in our Sights" video
  • I shared the special feelings I had when I was able to gather with my family in the Celestial Room for the first time and bore my testimony that it really is worth it.
Additional Resources:  I also printed off a copy of the "Commonly Asked Questions" about the temple from the Liahona. I thought it had some great explanations, just in case the kids asked questions.

3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say thank you for this post. I've been pondering all week about teaching this lesson and really struggled when I would sit down and try to prepare how I wanted to teach it. As it is now Saturday and I was starting to feel more and more frustrated that I couldn't prepare my thoughts I said a little prayer. Pleading that Heavenly Father would help me in someway to collect my thoughts and know what it was I needed to teach the youth in our class. Not even 2 minutes later I came across your blog. Which amazed me cause I've searched and searched the great internet for lesson helps and found many others but they just didn't seem to be what I needed. Then somehow I found yours. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too struggled with this lesson. and after searching pinterest many times this month for the others last night I found yours! Thank You Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Late to the game but THANK YOU! For the exact help and direction I needed for my lesson on Sunday! Thank you for sharing so people could use this for years to come. Your notes and outline have helped me more than you know.

    ReplyDelete