Thursday, May 25, 2017

June: How can I participate effectively in councils in the Church?

All printables, handouts and videos found HERE

Introduction:
  • Quickly did our monthly scripture chart drawing.
  • What is a council?
  • Types of Councils Match Game
    • I put a colored piece of paper or cardstock behind each picture and word strip. 
    • I also put the pictures on one side and the word strips on the other side of the chalkboard. I didn't want it to take too long by having them turn over two pictures or two word strips on their turn.
Making it Personal:
  • Have the youth share their experiences participating in council settings at Church or at home. 
  • What did they do to prepare for the meeting?
  • What did they do to participate?

Likening the Scriptures:
  • Before class write these scriptures on the board:
    • Matthew 18:20
    • Moroni 6:4-5
    • D&C 38:27
    • D&C 88:122
    • Have the youth pick one of the scriptures and answer the question, "Why does the Lord use councils to accomplish his work?"
  • Read the heading/description of this lesson in the Sunday School Manual. I have one you can print out in the link above.
Learning Together:
  • Watch "Participate in Councils" video
    • Have the youth write down what they learn is needed for a successful council on the index cards in the printable link above.
    • Have they seen any of these principles applied in a council?
  • Mock Ward Council Activity
    • I put a table in the middle of the room and had the youth sit around it.
    • I had them draw a prompts/problems that could be facing the ward. Using what they learned from the video and their experiences with council, they are to work together to find a solution to the problem.
    • If you want, you could assign specific roles such as: Elder's Quorum President, Bishop, Relief Society President, Primary President, Sunday School President, etc. But I decided not to because of my age group and I only have 2 boys and 4 girls in my class. 
Conclusion:
  • Why would it be less effective if one person made all the decisions without counseling others?
  • How did the council help accomplish the Lord's work?
  • What makes councils such an effective way to do the Lord's work?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! It has been a difficult and busy week with a family member passing away and a holiday. Plus, I learned recently that my dad has some health issues so I chose to go and help him and my mom with home chores at a time I usually dedicate to my lesson so I was concerned about the lesson that I usually spend many hours on and now I just have a few today. I really appreciate you preparing and outlining the lesson this way and sharing it! Plus, as I read it, it gave me some ideas. Thank you for sharing your talent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was kinda stumped on how to go about this lesson. Thanks for making it so clear! I appreciate your hard work!

    ReplyDelete