Tuesday, November 8, 2016

November: How can I learn to make my own decisions?

ALL PRINTOUTS FOUND HERE

 1. Introduction

  • Display topic
  • Play the game "Headbands" using the printable cards.These are decisions they might have to make in the next 10 years. I put them on a piece of colored cardstock, so they couldn't see through them. 
    • If you don't have the game "Headbands", you can always tape the card to their back so they can't see it. The person with the card can only ask yes or no questions.
  • After they guessed it correctly, I taped it to the board so it was displayed all during class. If you don't have a lot of time or a lot of students, you can have them brainstorm potential decisions and write them on the board.
2. Likening the Scriptures
  • Read D&C 9:7-9 and Alma 37:37
  • Questions to Ponder
    • How can you apply the Lord's counsel in these verses to the important decisions you will make over the next few years?
    • What does it mean to "counsel with the Lord" about these decisions?
    • What does it mean to "study it out in [our] mind"?
  • I shared a personal example of an experience I had counseling with the Lord regarding a decision
  • Invite the class to share any experiences they have had counseling with the Lord or stories they have heard
3. Learn Together
  • What can you learn about decision making from this story from Elder Robert D. Hales talk "To the Aaronic Priesthood: Preparing for the Decade of Decision"?
"While training to be a jet fighter pilot, I prepared to make such vital decisions in a flight simulator. For example, I practiced deciding when to bail out of an airplane if the fire warning light came on and I began to spin out of control. I remember one dear friend who didn't make these preparations. He would find a way out of simulator training and then go play golf or swim. He never learned his emergency procedures! A few months later, fire erupted in his plane, and it spun toward the ground in flames. Noting the fire warning light, his younger companion, having developed a preconditioned response, knew when to bail out of the plane and parachuted to safety. But my friend who had not prepared to make that decision stayed with the plane and died in the crash." 
  • Why do you think that we must prepare now for future decisions?
    • To be ready. (Money to buy car, grades to get into college, worthiness to be married in the temple, etc.)
4. Making it Personal
  • Watch this clip from Elder Dallin H. Oaks talk, "Good, Better, Best".  I stopped the video at 1:18
  • I made a small, medium, and large chocolate chip cookie and related it to Good, Better, Best
  • Let the class members fill out the Good, Better, Best charts. There are blank charts, just in ase you have more kids than I do.
  • Sometimes what is good, better, best might be different for all of us. I gave an example of how I had prayed to know if I should go on a mission. That was a good decision. However, I felt like I wasn't supposed to go. I struggled with that because my friends were going and I didn't know why Heavenly Father didn't want me to go on a mission. But as I found out a few months later, the better and best decision for me was to finish school and meet my future husband.
  •  How can we know which decision is the right decision for us?
    • Hand out the quotes from Elder Richard G. Scott's talk "Using the Supernal Gift of Prayer".
    • Use quotes 1-3 to incorporate into the class's answers
  • "What do you do when you have prepared carefully, have prayed fervently, waited a reasonable time for a response, and still do not feel an answer?" - Elder Scott
    • Quote 4
5. Conclusion
  • Watch the "Wrong Roads" video from Jeffery R. Holland
  • I shared my example of a decision that lead to a dead end
  • Invite the class members to share any stories they know of
6. Treat/Handout
  • I made "Good, Better, Best" cookies for each of the class members. I attached a saying from Dallin H. Oak's talk, "Good, Better, Best. See here.

No comments:

Post a Comment